link
    English
    101 month ago

Does it, really? Or is it “magic” all the way down…? :-D

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        61 month ago

Oh yeah, for magic “tricks” that’s fair:-).

You could still use it to cause squeals of delight from young’uns who don’t know any better yet. So the utility is vastly diminished, but not entirely gone.

• @lone_faerie@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        41 month ago

As someone else who was crazy about magic as a kid, I feel like that just made magic even more magical. Having an understanding of how magic tricks work lets you really appreciate the art and be truly wowed when you see a trick you can’t figure out.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet
          link
          fedilink
          English
          21 month ago

I still appreciate it, but the “magic” is gone. It becomes an intellectual and physical challenge once you understand the mechanics behind slight of hand and other forms of stage magic.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet
              link
              fedilink
              English
              21 month ago

I guess to me the magic that’s left are the reactions I get from people who really love magic. There isn’t really anything else I can do that provokes such a happy reaction from people. Plus the genius behind some of these tricks is really amazing. Guys like David Blaine really are geniuses in their field. I found a PDF file on the torrent network that contained all of his popular tricks back in the mid 00’s, and the looks of absolute amazement I got at parties was priceless. One of my brother-in-laws accused me of being a warlock when I showed him some tricks the first time I met him. Haha!