• @cynthorpe
    link
    821 month ago

I shop at Costco. I don’t mind scanning my card. I suspect anyone who shops at Costco does not care one way one another. This isn’t news, and anyone getting irate about this should find a new topic.

• @Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        51 month ago

Doesn’t the card go into a machine at the checkout anyways? They’re just changing the location of the machine, really, not introducing something new.

• @Zahille7@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          51 month ago

I wouldn’t be surprised if you had to scan the card twice now because of this though. I doubt they’d have the ability or foresight to scan as they walk through the door and nowhere else.

• Capt. Wolf
      link
      fedilink
      181 month ago

I literally don’t see the difference. My card gets checked by a person up front anyway. Who cares if it’s now digitally scanned?

Now give me the option to skip the line by scanning and paying for my stuff via phone and the only person I absolutely have to interact with is the one who checks my cart as I’m leaving.

• @Passerby6497@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        61 month ago

Who cares if it’s now digitally scanned?

I do. It will be a massive annoyance for me because instead of just flashing my card as I walk in and starting shopping, I’m probably going to have to queue up and wait to be scanned if there’s any kind of a rush.

I try to get there near open because it’s less crowded over all and I don’t want to deal with shoulder to shoulder shopping, but that means I’m going to have to get in line with 40 other people before I can get to shopping.

• @cynthorpe
        link
        41 month ago

Ohhh shit now there’s a good idea. Those eagle eyes at the door would totally catch of you didn’t scan something. Win win.

• @Jessica@discuss.tchncs.de
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      1 month ago

The other day I paid for pizza, and they didn’t have any ready. I had a 10 minute wait so I took my groceries to the car and then returned to pick up my pizza I’d already paid for. I was literally outside the store for 2-3 minutes. On my way back in, I ignored the receipt signers like I always have since I’m going to the food court and they literally shouted at me for walking past them because they forgot I’d just left the building. They made a big stink about me not showing my membership card when I exited the second time. I guess you can’t access the food court without a membership anymore?

• @WldFyre@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        91 month ago

because they forgot I’d just left the building.

Or because they see hundreds of people leaving and don’t bother trying to remember faces? Why on earth would you expect them to remember you haha

I hated that shit when I worked in food service

“What can I get you?”

“I’ll have my usual haha”

“… Idk what that is”

“What?! I’m here every week!”

As if I didn’t see a hundred people who were there every week lol

• @Jessica@discuss.tchncs.de
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Whether or not they remembered me was irrelevant to the story frankly. In the 10-15 years I’ve been shopping at Costco, I’ve never once been hassled at any location ever for walking in the exit to go to the food court.

Well, at least until this incident happened a few weeks ago.

Hell I didn’t even have a membership for the first couple years. I just happened to work very close to a Costco, and I would sometimes go get a slice of pizza for lunch.

• JackbyDev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            61 month ago

You know you did something that’s not allowed and you’re mad you got called out. 👁️👄👁️

• @mysticpickle@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        1 month ago

You were never supposed to be able to get to the food court without a membership. Some places care more about it than others but that’s the policy.

You entered the exit door to get in. You’re supposed to enter from the entrance door and then you can cross over to the food court from there. When you enter always go in through the entrance door that’s common sense.

The receipt checkers see literally thousands of people per day and they aren’t generally looking at faces they’re checking receipts and carts. Expecting them to recognize you out of the hundred people they’ve checked through in the last 10 minutes is insanity.

• @cynthorpe
        link
        11 month ago

No, I think you just got a jerk employee. It’s rare at Costco, but maybe they were having a bad day.