• @delirious_owl
    link
    English
    edit-2
    28 days ago

Wigs are so much a part of British criminal courts that if a barrister doesn’t wear one, it’s seen as an insult to the court.

Most are handmade from 100 percent horsehair, though there are synthetic versions available today, too. Horsehair wigs aren’t cheap, either, especially when they’re handmade and combine an ages-old craft of styling, sewing and gluing. A judge’s full-length wig can cost more than $3,000

Those who couldn’t afford the best garb but wanted to look the part wore wigs made of hair from goats, spooled cotton or from the hair of human corpses

This is the stupidest and most disgusting thing I’ve read today, thanks.

• @lud@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      527 days ago

Hair is already dead and animal hair (can’t remember which animal) is also used for the best brushes used for painting. IMO as long as the hair is washed which it obviously is, it’s not really disgusting.

• @Cypher@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        127 days ago

The Siberian Weasel’s hair is used in kolinsky sable brushes for water colour, and sometimes acrylic painting.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        English
        -627 days ago

Its disgusting to use a being’s body without their consent.

• @lud@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          027 days ago

Again, hair is dead.

And honestly if you are referring to the animals (which you are, otherwise you wouldn’t say “beings”) they likely wouldn’t have been born in the first place if humans didn’t like their hair.

• @lud@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              327 days ago

Yeah no shit Sherlock. That has nothing to do with taking the hair of dead people though.

If I’m dead you can take whatever part you want and use it for medical purposes or wigs I guess. I don’t really care, because I would be fucking dead.

• @delirious_owl
                link
                English
                edit-2
                26 days ago

Just because you don’t care doesn’t mean others don’t care.

Why do you think cultures have condemned necrophilia?