Finished The Passage by Justin Cronin. First book in The Passage trilogy. Overall, liked the book. The start was slow, giving me Stephen King vibes, but it picked up the pace as it went along. It was too long though, and can’t get myself to start next one right away.

Read couple of son’s books to change pace. The Ghoul in the School by Marcus Rashford and Alex Falase-Koya, the second book in The Breakfast Club Adventures. And Unexpected Super Spy by Zanib Mian, second book in Planet Omar series.

Also read, and just finished 5 mins before this post, Yumi and the Nightmare Painter by Brandon Sanderson, book 3 of his secret projects, and part of Cosmere, but a standalone book, which can be read without any knowledge of his other work. I loved this book. Like most of his “secret projects” books, couldn’t put it down once I picked it up.

Currently Reading… nothing. Just finished the previous book and haven’t decided what to start next… leaning towards next Dresden Files novel though… let’s see.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening to lately?

A regular reminder about our Book Bingo, and it’s Recommendation Post . Links are also present in our community sidebar.

• @dresdenOPM
    link
    English
    229 days ago

How is the Animorphs series? My kid is still at level of “Diary of Wimpy Kid” books, but these look like interesting next step. Maybe, not right now, but in an year or two. Also, any other recommendations for a kid around 10?

• @LaunchesKayaks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      329 days ago

Animorphs is really weird. I’ve heard they get really dark at some point.

As for other kids books, it depends on the reading level. I’ve always been super good at it, so I’m not a good judge. I enjoyed the Boxcar Children books, Captain Underpants, the Percy Jackson books, Eggs, Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life, some book about sapient squirrels where one had a sword, The View from Saturday, Love that Dog, and a bunch of other books I’m forgetting.

I read a TON as a kid. Like an obscene amount of reading.

• @dresdenOPM
        link
        English
        125 days ago

Thanks! I think it’s a bit early for Percy Jackson books, will lookup the others.

Tried to get my kid into Harry Potter, but he only read 3-4 pages and didn’t like it. Maybe it was a bit early, or maybe just not his taste.

I am constantly looking for more books for him, so if you think of, or find anything else, let me know.