Last night Organic Maps was removed from the Play Store without any warnings or additional details due to “not meeting the requirements for the Family Program”. Compared to Google Maps and other maps apps rated for 3+ age, there are no ads or in-app purchases in Organic Maps. We have asked for an appeal.

As a temporary workaround for the Google Play issue, you can install the new upcoming Google Play update from this link: https://cdn.organicmaps.app/apk/OrganicMaps-24081605-GooglePlay.apk

The Announcement on various Networks: Fosstodon Post
Twitter Post
Telegram Post

If you don’t know what Organic Maps is, it is an alternative to OsmAnd and google maps, more info on the official site (link) and GitHub.

Maybe an error? Honestly this is a weird one. I hope we will learn more in the coming hours.

You can still get it on the other channels, like F-Droid or Obtainium. Still, we all know that not being on the Play Store is an heavy sentence for any Android app.

EDITs
  • Added F-Droid link.
  • Fixed Typo in the obtainium link.
    • @Blizzard@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      2826 days ago

They’ve just convinced me to try it. It looks surprisingly good. I’d only wish there was a satellite layer. Or is there a way to download it?

• Nope, its desgined for offline use, which is just not compatible with huge image files. I dont know what source they would use for sat images, but that would probably complicate things a lot either way. Also if you load sat image tiles from a webserver, then that server/provider will also always know your location.

• OsmAnd (another OSM-based app) allows you to set underlay maps from external sources which will be downloaded from those external sources as needed. I do not know if Organic Maps has this feature too but it can clearly be done.

• @Blizzard@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          226 days ago

Storage space is not an issue for me and it wouldn’t be for others if this was optional. I guess the only problem is, as you say, where to get satellite images for an app that doesn’t make money.

• Alex
            link
            fedilink
            826 days ago

I think you underestimate how much storage those tiles take up compared to the vector map data.

• @LarmyOfLone@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          226 days ago

Just tried it. Compared to OsmAnd it’s very easy to use.
          But only seems to have vector and offline maps.

• AnonStoleMyPants
      link
      fedilink
      125 days ago

Yeaaah I doubt they give a fuck about this. Just an automated system doing automated things.