As students return to college campuses across the United States, administrators are bracing for a resurgence in activism against the war in Gaza.

• @ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      25 days ago

Disruption is impossible without causing harm. If you’re not harming me then I can just ignore you and so you have failed to be disruptive.

Edit: The word “disruption” can be used in other contexts to describe acts that aren’t harmful. For example, a new discovery might be said to disrupt the existing paradigm. My claim is about “disruption” used to describe protest-associated actions like blocking roads, making a lot of noise, or preventing students from going to class.

• Flying Squid
          link
          fedilink
          524 days ago

Gotta love a “free speech absolutist” who thinks that it doesn’t count as free speech if it stops you from walking to the other side of the quad without taking the long way around.

• @catloaf@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        425 days ago

What material harm do you experience from those things?

And, if there is any material harm, is that worse than what people are experiencing in Gaza?

• @Sarmyth@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          25 days ago

Loss of personal income and denial or service come to mind with like 5 seconds of thought.

Any non-salary employee who’s late to work probably doesn’t just get to make it up later. The business that employs then may lose business as a result of the shortage/delay. Their products being shipped to them could be delayed resulting in loss of sales. The ripple goes on and on but most pockets getting hit are commuting workers, more than big businesses.

As for if it’s worse than what others in Gaza are experiencing? A pointless exercise. As my parents told us growing up “there are children starving in Africa”, yet it doesn’t make me like the taste of steamed green beans any more or less. Their suffering doesn’t impact my suffering, no matter how extreme the difference.

• Maeve
        link
        fedilink
        024 days ago

Come now, I don’t believe for an instant that anyone is as fragile as that. Even my nephew who is a young cancer survivor and weathered people who refused to wear masks during the pandemic by wearing his own.