From what I saw Cosmic has a lot of potential and looks pretty sleek too, right now I’m using KDE it’s a great desktop, but now that I have a second monitor it randomly crashes on me, I think I’ll switch to Cosmic when it reaches beta.

• @Delusion6903
    link
    English
    4721 days ago

I’m just afraid it’s gonna be another 2 years before it’s ready for everyday use

• @Delusion6903
        link
        English
        521 days ago

That’s my plan. I’m back on Gnome until feature parity.

• pbjamm
          link
          fedilink
          English
          120 days ago

That could be a longer wait because Gnome (hopefully) wont be standing still during that time.

• @Delusion6903
            link
            English
            220 days ago

But they have historically moved pretty damn slow

• @cybersandwich@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      721 days ago

It could take that long. I was wondering if Ubuntu is 24.10 /25.04, 25.10, and 26.04 if pop will align their alpha2, beta, and official release with the Ubuntu release schedule.

I know they said something about a yearly release cadence for cosmic but I’m sure that’s once it’s officially in production.

That said, as far as an alpha goes, it’s much more polished than a typical alpha. The path from here to beta might be faster than we think.

Pop devs never shied away from releasing with non LTS releases though and since one of their main pain points with releases was always gnome + cosmic plugins I’m not sure how their dependency on Ubuntu releases is affected.

I was super nervous for cosmic because I love pop. I didn’t want them to bungle it and force me to distro hop. The alpha made me way less nervous and much more excited.

Whatever they do, whenever they release, I just hope they get it right! Small bugs are fine but major crashes would make me very sad.

• @Delusion6903
        link
        English
        221 days ago

Not in the long view it wouldn’t be that bad but we’ve seen other projects take so many years. Look how long it’s taken Wayland.

• @UnfairUtan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      420 days ago

Yep. I stupidly thought I could use it on my work laptop. Big nope, I had to go back after 2 hours.

It has great potential, but it’s still far from being ready… 😔

• Bobby Byrne
      link
      fedilink
      English
      320 days ago

I’ve been using it as my main for months. Even as an Alpha, it’s very stable. That being said, it’s missing quite a few features that a lot of people would consider a requirement. So “ready” will heavily depend on your requirements

• @Delusion6903
        link
        English
        220 days ago

Exactly. I could use it as my daily if the settings panel was more complete.

• @CrabAndBroom@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        220 days ago

Yeah I’ve been running it in one of my little VM specimen jars for a while now and I don’t remember it crashing or doing anything weird so far. Pretty good for a first alpha!

• @retrogirl@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      220 days ago

I’m using it every day now. I have one machine installed with the 24.04 ISO and it’s working fine. There’s some TODO items to come which I understand will be added by Alpha2. With a little command line knowledge COSMIC is perfectly usable now and is stable.

• @Delusion6903
        link
        English
        220 days ago

I’m sure my command line game is weak. Do you have a solution for connecting to Bluetooth and for timing out to login screen and blanking it after a certain period?

• @retrogirl@lemmings.world
          link
          fedilink
          218 days ago

Bluetooth can be managed with systemctl and bluetoothctl.

https://www.makeuseof.com/manage-bluetooth-linux-with-bluetoothctl/

In my experience I find just running bluetoothctl to enter the interactive mode easiest. You can enter commands without prepending bluetoothctl. You can use help at any stage. So you want to use systemctl to make sure Bluetooth is running, then enter bluetoothctl. Make sure the device is discoverable and pairing is set to on. Start your [headphones/whatever] in pairing mode and run devices. When you see the device run pair <numbers/address>. Only use the numbers. You may have to go into settings and select the device in the sound applet.

My situation doesn’t require a logout timer, but if I’m walking away from the PC I just use the shortcut Super + ESC. Alternatively, there’s many ways you can create a basic Bash script that when invoked times down to a systemctl suspend command. Or possibly the hybrid-sleep option could do what you want. See systemctl -h for possibilities.

Blanking the login screen is something that will be implemented shortly. Maybe I’ll work on a script for that because it annoys me too. Fortunately I rarely use it. I’ll repost if I do this.

I really don’t think the two years people are saying in this thread is realistic. The hard work and core is written. What is there is stable. I think they will get this completed much sooner. They do have a hardware business to support after all.

• @Delusion6903
            link
            English
            118 days ago

Thanks for the useful info. Still, I don’t think I want to fool with it until it’s available via GUI. That’s just me.

And I hope you are right about the rest being quicker.

• @jcarax@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      121 days ago

Hopefully they plan to stabilize what they see as core functionality, and then build out features. Some people won’t consider it ready until this or that feature is added, but many of us who just want a WM+ can start using it once it’s relatively stable.

• @Delusion6903
        link
        English
        121 days ago

I couldn’t even connect Bluetooth until I switched to Gnome again