Satellite image analysis shows 329 hectares of forest cleared during development of factory in Germany

The development of a Tesla gigafactory near Berlin has resulted in about 500,000 trees being felled, according to satellite analysis.

The building of the German factory has been highly controversial and attracted significant protests, as well as prompting a debate about the trade-offs involved in developing a green economy.

Elon Musk, Tesla’s owner, has criticised local police for letting off “leftwing protesters”.

Satellite images show 329 hectares (813 acres) of forest were cut down at the site between March 2020 and May 2023, according to the environmental intelligence company Kayrros. That is equivalent to approximately 500,000 trees.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    English
    4021 days ago

It was a tree farm, not a forest. Do with that information what you will.

• @Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      21 days ago

If it was a tree farm, were the trees for wood, and harvested as usual, or did they go to waste? Couldn’t they have been relocated, since their root balls were probably all separate? It’s not the catastrophe of an ancient forest, but it’s still a negative.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        English
        1221 days ago

Those trees were grown for the specific purpose of being cut down. I highly doubt they were just thrown away.

My assumption is that they identified an area ready for harvest, harvested them then started construction. It would be throwing away serval million euros to do otherwise.

• @general_kitten@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            121 days ago

My guess is that Mr. Elongated Muskrat didn’t own the land before so I would imagine the previous landowner harvested the trees before the construction/land purchase

• @CosmoNova@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -421 days ago

My assumption is that they identified an area ready for harvest

I admire your ability to just believe. I really do.

• @Crashumbc@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                120 days ago

He didn’t mean to actually buy Twitter, he fucked up because of his ego and couldn’t get out of it without getting sued to oblivion.

• @CosmoNova@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  120 days ago

And that sounds like a guy who carefully plans his gigafactory around every tree to get the most buck for his bark to you?