• @delirious_owl
    link
    English
    6223 days ago

It was extremely popular. I played it a lot. Many players were international because, you know, it was free.

It was great anti-miliarty propaganda. I mean I died several times per hour.

• @UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      22 days ago

It was extremely popular.

It was free to play. But it didn’t hold a candle to Team Fortress, Call of Duty, or even Tribes in terms of overall player count. The project was eventually abandoned when Pentagon officials realized they could just send kick-backs to EA executives in order to inject their propaganda into a more popular franchise.

Now US Army and Navy sponsorship of tournaments is routine, streamers regularly get promoted based on their military affiliations, and native advertising has ramped up substantially.

• @Dasus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        922 days ago

But it didn’t hold a candle to Team Fortress, Call of Duty, or even Tribes in terms of overall player count.

In terms of player count, no. But mechanics and graphics? They were pretty freaking good.

Although one pretty ridiculous thing was that one would never play as “the enemy.” You’re always on the side of the US Army, obviously, and the enemies are vaguely mid-eastern people dressed very stereotypically, yelling. But if your friend was on that enemy team, they’d see themselves as a US soldier and you as a somewhat racist terrorist stereotype. And the guns work like that too; you start of with an M16 or whatever your role might be, but when the enemy kills you, they’ll pick up an AK with a drum magazine. Weirdly the guns had different mechanics, so which ones was the game using at what times?

Anyways, thought to mention. I played Tactical Ops mostly at that time (having had stopped CS when the annoying 1.6 steam update came), but with one friend we did AA. Always on American servers, playing with like 190 ping. (And yes, if it’s a steady ping, you can actually get used to it and hit things. Well even.)

• @delirious_owl
        link
        English
        522 days ago

I never played any of those because they’re not free

• @Agret@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          122 days ago

It was pretty easy to find lists of half-life CD keys to play team fortress and counter strike for free.

Quake world & the quake fortress addon were fun and predates any CD key system so they could be easily found for free too.

• @Dozzi92@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        422 days ago

I played this at the same time I played Tribes (renegades always) and this game was a novelty, Tribes was the fun.

• @Dozzi92@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            222 days ago

Ha, very much the same. The number of games I own is far greater than the number of games I’ve played. And like our universe, those two numbers will continue to grow apart in perpetuity.

• @PixellatedDave@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        422 days ago

Tribes is my all-time favourite shooter. I esp loved Tribes 2… unpopular opinion maybe but wow was that an amazing game to me.

• @UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          122 days ago

The gameplay balance was something else. Not quite as intricate as TF, but the intricate maps and exotic weapons made up for it.

One reason I fell in love with Halo so quickly was the way it derived a lot of its aesthetic from Tribes.

• @havocpants@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      922 days ago

I was one of those international players, it was pretty good and a nice change when you needed a break from Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, which was very popular around the same time.

• @TropicalDingdong@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        122 days ago

I was one of those international players, it was pretty good and a nice change when you needed a break from Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, which was very popular around the same time.

Ahh shit I remember ET. That was my jam.