We speak with Human Rights Watch researcher Milena Ansari about the organization’s new report detailing the torture of Palestinian medical workers in Israeli prisons. HRW spoke with eight doctors, paramedics and nurses who were picked up in Gaza before being transferred to the notorious Sde Teiman camp and other facilities, where they say they suffered beatings, starvation, humiliation, electric shocks and other forms of abuse.

The men also describe threats of sexual violence during brutal interrogations and seeing another prisoner bleeding after being gang-raped with an M16 rifle by three soldiers.

The findings track with other reports from researchers and survivors, and HRW has called on the International Criminal Court to investigate Israel for its attacks on healthcare workers. “We’re really ringing the alarm about the situation inside the Israeli custody and detention facilities,” says Ansari, who says evidence is mounting of a “systematic pattern of ill-treatment and abuse.”

• @garpujol
    link
    English
    edit-2
    17 days ago

That’s an understatement…

It’s too bad the Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities in the Xinjiang region don’t have a war going on so they can have their genocide highlighted.

• @Olgratin_Magmatoe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      716 days ago

The difference is, western nations aren’t giving China billions of dollars for the express purpose of bombing uyghur civilians. There is still the issue of continuing trade, but then you’re getting into a game of passing the buck. The people blame the politicians who blame the corps who blame the people. Nobody wants to be the first to take responsibility for it.

I think you’ll find very few people who are against Israel’s actions but support China’s actions.

• @Olgratin_Magmatoe@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          16 days ago

.ml has 50k users, and hexbear has 27k.

Assuming every single one of those people side with Palestinians and also the CCP, and are also not bots or duplicate accounts(which is absolutely not the case), that’s only 77k. Or 2.5% of the population of the U.S.

That’s very few people like I said.

And if you only go off of active users in the last 6 months(which we should given that lots of people will have made accounts, then later left due to disagreement or lack of interest), it’s only around 8k people. So again, very few people.

• @garpujol
            link
            English
            016 days ago

I think there are only a dozen actual active users on ML, owning most of those accounts. 😂

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      17 days ago

it would help if there was any proof at all instead of hearsay by western media

• @Keeponstalin@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        4317 days ago

Here is the latest Amnesty has on the issue. I don’t know if it constitues genocide, but it it certainly crimes against humanity when it comes to torture and mass imprisonment

• @garpujol
          link
          English
          1017 days ago

They are paid not to believe you.

link
            fedilink
            English
            1317 days ago

No, it’s still an ongoing problem. See the latest from Amnesty on China.

It’s no where near as bad as Israeli crimes against humanity are, but they are still crimes against humanity

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          17 days ago

maybe not genocide is a step down from genocide already. and when push comes to shove, its always documents written by west-sponsored institutions. never a single picture, never a single first party source, just trust me bro

link
            fedilink
            English
            1817 days ago

Pretty sure all the reports by the human rights organizations do have primary sources, these aren’t ‘west sponsored institutions.’ Discrediting them on this is as ridiculous as Zionists who discredit their reports on Israel

Amnesty International’s Free Xinjiang Detainees campaign has, to date, profiled 126 individuals who are among the perhaps one million or more people who have been held in arbitrary detention in internment camps and prisons in Xinjiang since 2017.

• @garpujol
        link
        English
        1517 days ago

There is lots of proof. You are just here to criticize western civilization. You do not care about Palestine. I can prove it: say something bad about China.

• @goferking0@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          217 days ago

You do not care about Palestine. I can prove it: say something bad about China.

Yes that totally proves something if they don’t…

But I thought it was the Russians now not the Chinese who were pushing the stop the genocide rhetoric

• @noride@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                017 days ago

Tbf it’s a pretty damned easy shit test to pass, it’s quite telling when someone won’t even take a swing.

• @garpujol
                    link
                    English
                    517 days ago

I’d be glad to.

• Native American Displacement and Genocide
                    • Slavery!
                    • Japanese American internment
                    • The entire Vietnam war
                    • support for authoritarian regimes
                    • The invasion of Iraq in 2003 based on the false assumption that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction
                    • systematic discrimination against Black people

… to name just a few.

See, that’s how you criticize your own country when you won’t go to jail for criticizing your own country. No country is 100% perfect. All governments are bastards.

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          17 days ago

way to shift the burden of proof there. give me that proof.

a nyt article with extraordinary claims and just pictures of random prisioners doesnt count.

• @garpujol
            link
            English
            417 days ago

What would count?

• @garpujol
                link
                English
                217 days ago

Right. Denial is the CCP’s go to excuse.

Wasn’t that a Shaggy song from like 20 years ago? “Wasn’t me”

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              16 days ago

actually credible first party witnesses, pictures and videos.

about the same that gets all of us mad about palestine, and which would be inevitable to exist in big quantities in the 21st century.

• @garpujol
                link
                English
                116 days ago

If this event took place in 2024, everyone would have taken photos and video and they would be instantly available to the world.

As for credible witnesses, you wouldn’t consider any witness I provide credible. You’ve been trained to argue and discredit everything, while at the same time expecting people to accept your sources.

Here are some videos. Just scrub to the end on mute, the guy’s voice is annoying. I’m sure you’ll claim all this video footage is somehow not credible. And if no credible footage existed than clearly it could have never happened. Convenient.

https://youtu.be/Cufi0sohVQk