We speak with Human Rights Watch researcher Milena Ansari about the organization’s new report detailing the torture of Palestinian medical workers in Israeli prisons. HRW spoke with eight doctors, paramedics and nurses who were picked up in Gaza before being transferred to the notorious Sde Teiman camp and other facilities, where they say they suffered beatings, starvation, humiliation, electric shocks and other forms of abuse.

The men also describe threats of sexual violence during brutal interrogations and seeing another prisoner bleeding after being gang-raped with an M16 rifle by three soldiers.

The findings track with other reports from researchers and survivors, and HRW has called on the International Criminal Court to investigate Israel for its attacks on healthcare workers. “We’re really ringing the alarm about the situation inside the Israeli custody and detention facilities,” says Ansari, who says evidence is mounting of a “systematic pattern of ill-treatment and abuse.”

• @noride@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        017 days ago

Tbf it’s a pretty damned easy shit test to pass, it’s quite telling when someone won’t even take a swing.

• @garpujol
            link
            English
            517 days ago

I’d be glad to.

• Native American Displacement and Genocide
            • Slavery!
            • Japanese American internment
            • The entire Vietnam war
            • support for authoritarian regimes
            • The invasion of Iraq in 2003 based on the false assumption that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction
            • systematic discrimination against Black people

… to name just a few.

See, that’s how you criticize your own country when you won’t go to jail for criticizing your own country. No country is 100% perfect. All governments are bastards.

• @garpujol
                link
                English
                017 days ago

That wasn’t about freedom of speech, that was about protesting and getting in a fight with the police. That’s a different situation. And before you get excited and think I’m siding with the police, no I’m not. If this was China, and I criticized them, they would just come into my home and arrest me and my family.

And just to make you happy, you can add that the United States has a bunch of bastards for cops. That should cover all of that stuff that you said