Why do you lurk?

I used to be a lurker when on Reddit. I’d post here and there but mostly just kept to myself. It was because something as large as Reddit felt like shouting into the void.

On Lemmy, the communities are small, and so are the instances. Is it lack of something to say, anxiety, or you’re a bot? What’s up!

I find myself being way more active on Lemmy & Mastodon than on Reddit & Twitter.

• @Boozilla
    link
    English
    211 months ago

I have multiple lemmy accounts, which kind of dilutes my efforts, maybe. I do try to post comments (and occasional new content). I think reddit beat me into a state of lurking and being afraid to participate very much, because a large percentage of redditors are know-it-all jerks just waiting to pounce on you for almost any reason.

Honestly since leaving reddit for lemmy, I’m also kind of enjoying not doom scrolling so much. I do like to stay on top of things like tech news, politics, sports, entertaininment, etc, and reddit was always my go-to for that stuff. So it’s a mixed bag…I don’t miss the jerks, I don’t want to be addicted, but I do want to help lemmy thrive. It seems much nicer here (so far).

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      211 months ago

I’m thinking a lot of people have the same reasoning. There has to be a paradigm shift for folks moving to Lemmy. It’s like going from a large public speaking event to a family reunion. You’re still presenting something to some people you may not know but the family reunion will be much more inviting and forgiving. At least, that’s how I see Lemmy.

I don’t browse All as often other than just seeing what’s being posted. I follow communities I actually want to participate in rather than just consuming whatever is most popular.