• @ravhall
    link
    2212 days ago

People in the military aren’t the sharpest group.

• teft
        link
        fedilink
        1712 days ago

This was my experience in the army as well. It was a grab bag of opinions because soldiers come from every part of the country and every walk of life.

• @Zorsith@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        612 days ago

I’d argue that’s only to get more one-sided as military benefits get cut down further and further. GI bill and medical benefits are huge draws for people, it’s a way out of genuinely shit situations. Hack away too far and people stop signing up.

• femtech
          link
          fedilink
          411 days ago

Yeah, and Dems fund the VA and education benefits while the repubs fund contractors.

• Vanon
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 days ago

Are benefits getting cut? Honestly. All I ever hear is about trying to get more health coverage, fix the VA, and nearly $1T annual budget.

link
            fedilink
            English
            211 days ago

It gets repeatedly threatened; transgender people using medical benefits for affirming surgeries were kicked out under trump IIRC; it wouldn’t surprise me if pregnancy related care (and othe reproductive healthcare such as vasectomies, histerectomies, tubal litigation, etc) also gets axed under a potential trump presidency.

Education benefits are a sticky one. I genuinely think cutting that would lead to revolt if medical benefits don’t. That’s a huge draw. It gets some people out of a shit situation, and gives them an education to get a good job to avoid going back into that situation.

• Vanon
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              11 days ago

I somehow forgot that the military loses the same freedoms and benefits that we all lose under GOP (religious extremists, deranged fascists, etc).

It’s ironic that free/subsidized healthcare and education, basic pillars of society that all Americans should enjoy (like most civilized countries), is instead used as some amazing military benefit. I guess we all just need to join the military! I can’t imagine who would even consider joining without these, at least for a generation or two (until forgotten). But as you said, healthcare especially is already being chipped away for many people.

link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                11 days ago

Its probably the only institution of the US that the poem inscribed on the statue of liberty actually applies to.

Most people outside of that description are drawn in by nationalism.

• KillingTimeItself
            link
            fedilink
            English
            111 days ago

All I ever hear is about trying to get more health coverage, fix the VA, and nearly $1T annual budget.

i wonder why they want to do that

• @prole@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        511 days ago

My understanding was that officers tend to lean more left, while enlisted men lean right.

Which makes sense when you think about relative education.

• @mosiacmango@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          11 days ago

In general yeah, but the numbers have shifted pretty hard. In 2016, it was 55/45 gop to dem.

Just 4 years later, it shift to 41/37 dem to gop. Looks like a decent chunk went non voting, but it did shift the needle.

While I was in the service, it was majority conservative, but lots of people from lots of places tends to shift that. You get to know people from all over the country, break down biases and learn new things. Looks like nowadays there isn’t that overarching conservative energy on top. Probably a better military to be in now, honestly.

• @prole@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            110 days ago

Yikes, imagine being in the military and choosing not to vote. That’s kind of unbelievable (rhetorically speaking… unfortunately, its all too believable).

• flicker
      link
      fedilink
      1212 days ago

Military people are a cross-section of Americans at large, not a single bloc.

• @ravhall
        link
        712 days ago

I only have responses that would be derogatory and biased against the military in general. And while I think one could apply your statement to most groups of people in any context, you do have a point.

• flicker
          link
          fedilink
          312 days ago

Recognizing your bias is remarkable and worth these upvotes!

• @ravhall
        link
        111 days ago

Sounds pretty generalized.

• @Soup@lemmy.cafe
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 days ago

It’s not intolerant to be intolerant of intolerance. I thought this was settled a few years ago.

• KillingTimeItself
            link
            fedilink
            English
            111 days ago

its not, but the joke applies here, and also it is a good rule of thumb, never make blanket statements unless you’re either shitposting or joking.

• @ravhall
            link
            -311 days ago

Intolerance is relative. I don’t tolerate the intolerance of the military. So by your definition, I am not intolerant. That is unless you don’t tolerate my non-intolerance of intolerance. 💋