Phoenix, Arizona, saw its 100th straight day of 100F (37.7C) heat this week.

The hottest large city in the United States broke its previous record of 76 consecutive 100F days set in 1993. The relentless streak, which started on 27 May and hit its 100th day on Tuesday, is forecast to persist into next week. An excessive heat warning is in effect through Friday, with temperatures expected to reach 110F (43C) tomorrow.

This summer was the hottest one in Phoenix since 1896, when records first began. Latest county data shows that at least 177 people died from heat-related causes so far this year, with 436 under investigation. Last year, Maricopa county saw 645 confirmed heat-related fatalities, enduring 55 days in a row with above 110F temperatures.

• @ravhall
    link
    911 days ago

Obligatory, but it’s a dry heat!

• Tech With Jake
      link
      fedilink
      611 days ago

Whenever someone says that, my reply is “So is a fire. Go jump in one and let me know how it feels.” 🤣

• @eldavi@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                210 days ago

it is well established; but there are plenty who willfully ignore that fact and you just ran into one of them.

• @ravhall
                link
                110 days ago

Arizona is a state. While some of its residents have been known to struggle with skin color, and other simple concepts, the state itself is simply a geographic location.

• @Evkob@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  210 days ago

Using the name of a place to refer to its residents is super common and widely-understood. It’s a form of metonym.

Another example of metonymy would be “White House cracks down on crime”, obviously the White House is a building and cannot enforce laws. “White House” in this situation is a metonym for the President and/or their administration.

Hope this helps clear up your confusion! 😊

• @ravhall
                    link
                    110 days ago

That fire feels like Washington DC

• @ravhall
                    link
                    110 days ago

I’m not accusing land of being racist

• @Valmond@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      210 days ago

20% at 111°F is a degree or so close to imminent heat stroke (followed by death).

So yes hydrometry counts (90% at 90°F is bad too) but it won’t always save you.

I’m a proponents of using a scale including hyrgrometry and not just only using temperature, especially when hot it’s such a bullshit measure (temp only).