• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    2712 days ago

I say force everyone to do a year of retail. That’ll do wonders for compassion as a whole.

• @half_fiction@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      12 days ago

I have my doubts. In my experience, the absolute worst customers were the ones who wanted to lecture you because ~I used to work in retail.~ I think some people just suck.

• OptionalOP
        link
        fedilink
        1012 days ago

They used to work in retail when it wasn’t insane.

That’s like “I used to drink directly from the stream”

• @CharlesDarwin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          112 days ago

Was there ever a time when people were not being told toxic nonsense like “the customer is always right”, which only encouraged the Karens of the world to feel like entitled little assholes who always think they get to talk to the manager?

• @NuXCOM_90Percent@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        812 days ago

That is the sad truth.

Assholes are gonna asshole. If someone actually needs to work retail/service industry to know how much it sucks, they don’t have any empathy to begin with. This isn’t like “Wow, being a model or a pro wrestler is awesome” where people learn the reality of needing to maintain your body in a specific form while constantly traveling and being underpaid and so forth. NOTHING glorifies retail/service industry work.

So you mostly just get “Oh, I worked at a supermarket 40 years ago and my favorite thing to do was to walk around the parking lot to find carts. So I am really doing them a favor leaving the cart in the middle of a parking spot in 120F weather”.

• @CharlesDarwin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        212 days ago

I worked a looooong time ago in a service industry job and I got that same thing from the knobs. Here’s the thing though - I tended to not believe those people. If they did, they did it for like a week. That’s my guess.

• @ravhall
      link
      812 days ago

Haha. I mean, you do have a point there.