• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    9310 days ago

Iirc that’s mostly because they spoiled so quickly. That’s part of why it was inhumane to feed them to prisoners (the other part was they just ground up the entire lobster).

In fact, many religious food restrictions are based on foods that could easily make you sick, like pork.

• I think it also had to do with the fact that they’re bottom feeders, as most fish spoil fairly quickly without proper care (though some are definitely worse than others - I think shark starts going bad literally as soon as the shark dies).

Like your second point, many bottom feeders are more likely to have parasites and, therefore, probably built up a reputation as being unfit for eating (though lobsters don’t have any parasites that I’m aware of).

• @BruceTwarzen@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      79 days ago

Someone told me they don’t eat pork because the pigs were at the bottom of the ark and and ate the shit of all the other animals and that is since then canon for me, because it’s one of the funniest reasons to not eat pork

• @PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        116 hours ago

You may think you’re disgusting, but you ain’t “getting so into scat fetish that god themself makes an entire religious dictat about avoiding your nasty ass” disgusting