I think a little clarification is needed. No. I don’t actually think everyone there is insane. I don’t care about the bans so stop trying to use that. HB enthusiasts coming here and trying to call me out achieves nothing besides proving my point

Edit: Feel free to keep trying to brigade me. It’s not going to scare me to take this down

• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    149 days ago

Not all. People over-generalize to forget that Lemmy.ml (and lately more people from Midwest.social) have always blended the experiences, being able to post to both “sides” like hexbear.net and lemmy.world that are defederated from one another.

And lemm.ee too though iirc they consider themselves more truly neutral than leftists?

And some alts too ofc:-).

• TerkErJerbs
      link
      fedilink
      139 days ago

I’m a lefty but I didn’t know which instances leaned which way when I got here. I chose lemm.ee because their defed policy itself was neutral and that appealed to me because I can do my own damn blocking thank you.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        39 days ago

You can now… and if you were willing to go individually account-by-account, then you always could. I’m glad you found your niche - it’s nice to widen your worldview and listen to it all, sometimes:-).

Though I’m on the other end of the spectrum: having spent nearly a decade listening to people’s oddball takes on everything under the sun, and bending over backwards to accommodate it all as if it had some semblance of validity, I now find myself wanting to substantially narrow my input stream. Ngl, reading and watching/listening to - and more importantly thinking deeply about - such things as Innuendo Studios’ The Alt Right Playbook, and the actual Trump presidency that caused our current inflation crisis and oh yeah killed more people than all wars combined iirc, really changed my approach on giving such viewpoints the time of day. There’s a difference between sounding smart (like screetching: “show me your source material, bitch!”, while also looking down on the recipient in every way), vs. actually being thus, imho.

However, if you want to keep your finger on the pulse of many sides regarding a particular matter, then I’m so glad that the federated servers allow us each to experience such a diversity of goals, even on the same platform! 😄