Australian police are working with their international counterparts to locate a man they believe fled the country after pouring boiling coffee on a baby in Brisbane.

The random attack - which occurred last month and has shocked the nation - left the nine-month-old boy with “serious burns” to his face and limbs.

Queensland Police have issued an arrest warrant for a 33-year-old wanted over acts intending to cause grievous bodily harm, a charge which carries a possible life sentence.

• @dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      288 days ago

Recent research has called the bystander effect into serious question. In 90% of observed real world circumstances intervention by bystanders occurred.

• Regna
        link
        fedilink
        English
        188 days ago

Except the bystander effect mentioned in the “original” Kitty case is not the same as a shocked “We’re here and what the fuck just happened in the last two seconds!?”.

I’ve been an eye witness, and it’s a serious difference between “a few seconds of something horrible happening” and “wtf, someone is doing prolonged horrible deeds and murdering someone”.

• @stoly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        8 days ago

That only happens if someone steps up and takes charge. Otherwise monkeys will stare slack jawed.

• Ricky Rigatoni
          link
          fedilink
          English
          48 days ago

And the studies showed that 90% of the time someone steps up and takes charge.

• Ricky Rigatoni
              link
              fedilink
              English
              38 days ago

“I’m here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I’m all out of gum.”

“The cake is a lie!”

“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”