• @Disgracefulone
    link
    -56 days ago

Lot to touch on here. Not going to get to all of it. First off most people do cheat according to an overwhelming majority of surveys done over the years. That’s not including those who lie on those surveys.

Secondly the point is when normal people cheat, it doesn’t get blasted/they don’t get blasted by anyone outside of people related to them or their situation. As it should be.

Thirdly and finally, the entire point, since you seemed to miss it entirely, was that this is tabloid shit. People should have better things to talk about than which celebrity cheated, especially since the future of our nation is potentially in jeopardy, and a debate related to that future just occurred. But by all means spend your time making a big deal about Dave cheating.

And as for making the announcement himself? That’s him owning it as far as I’m concerned. Which is what I did when I made that mistake. Doesn’t give people the right to talk down on him for a mistake literally half the world makes once or more in their lives.

• @shoop@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      6 days ago

First off most people do cheat according to an overwhelming majority of surveys done over the years

Source needed because that is far from the data I see. Infidelity occurred in 20-25% of marital relationships

Secondly the point is when normal people cheat, it doesn’t get blasted/they don’t get blasted by anyone outside of people related to them or their situation. As it should be.

No one forced him to announce it. He could have tried to keet it within the family. Public information is perfectly acceptable to discuss, and you should be blasted when you do something wrong.

Thirdly and finally, the entire point, since you seemed to miss it entirely, was that this is tabloid shit

Just because you feel it is tabloid shit doesn’t make it so, and regardless of how much you want to say I’m missing something. A lot of people look up to Dave as a role model and a legitimately “good” person, and for sure he has done good things. But without a doubt hearing this will cause a lot of people to alter their perception of him (myself included). That is news.

Edit: here is a whole other comment from reddit detailing how cheating isn’t common with 18+ sources: https://www.reddit.com/r/monogamy/comments/ruigh4/comment/hqz9rg4/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

• @Disgracefulone
        link
        edit-2
        6 days ago

A good person is someone who owns up to their mistakes. Which is what him announcing it was. If you choose to see him as less of a good person for it that’s your opinion, but that doesn’t make it more than it is - an opinion.

And no, it definitely IS tabloid shit. Lol.

https://www.sexualhealthaustralia.com.au/extramarital-affairs-infidelity.html

One source of many.

Yes, it’s for Australia before you jump on that - Australia, ranked sixth in infidelity in the world behind the United States, which is ranked 5th. According to Ashley Madison anyways.

You can find a survey that says whatever you want. Finding the actual statistics, however, is another matter.

Cheating, sorry to say, is extremely prevalent in modern relationships.