• @Disgracefulone
    link
    515 days ago

Great theory until you get removed from your home trying to make a point because the family of 3 with nowhere else to go doesn’t have the luxury of caring about things like this thanks to the broke ass system we all reside in.

• @UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 days ago

Great theory until you get removed from your home trying to make a point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_strike

When you get the whole building involve, it can be surprisingly effective.

the family of 3 with nowhere else to go doesn’t have the luxury of caring about things like this

You don’t think a family of 3 cares when their rents double over five years while their wages barely budge?

• @Disgracefulone
        link
        edit-2
        4 days ago

No, I didn’t say that. I said a family of 3 is going to take your house if they can afford it and you’re too busy making a point to pay rent.

This is true. So not sure what point any of what you said serves, though you’re not wrong.

Also, my grandma lived inna building where 90% of the tenants did this, came together and made their demands and refused to pay rent all together.

They were all removed systematically.

Not saying it never works, but it’s alot for the average working class American to risk.

• @TheOubliette@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      94 days ago

It is virtually impossible to work individually against landlords. Instead, form or join a tensnts’ union. And maybe some orgs opposed to landlordism.

• BlanketsWithSmallpox
      link
      fedilink
      English
      64 days ago

They’re describing a job in that scenario too lol.

Yes, people lose their shit once they stop doing their job lol. Landlords in their version are effectively building mechanics and paper pushers keeping their property above board so people can live in it. Most of them I knew all had jobs outside of it too because it doesn’t pay the bills lol.

Yes, it would be phenomenal if they dropped all their extra money into the stock market like your average person but they diversified or put it into equity instead since they didn’t trust stock or had houses willed to them.

I get when people talk about slumlords, or giant corpos. But I’ve had to quote it before that the lionshare of them are people like I mentioned above with corpos buying out more and more in recent years because they’re just as poor as everyone else.

Meanwhile even the most liberal people on here get baited thinking they’re scum. Meanwhile billionaires are still laughing at the poors fighting each other thinking one job is better than other or villifying entire professions still.

Unionize. Reform land and property ownership. Vote in as many Progressive > Democrats to help make that happen. Vote yes on school ballot measures even if you get taxes. Run for government yourself if you loathe who represents you. Grassroot campaigns are hard as hell with a huge uphill battle, but poor people aren’t excluded from government.

• @XeroxCool@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      44 days ago

Yeah, they’re not going to suddenly gain $50k+ cash for a down-payment to replace their home. Yes, a mortgage should be cheaper than rent but a renter probably can’t save an extra 3 year’s worth of rent to put it down.