• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    164 days ago

Other than all that, yeah:-)

img

Still not comparable to Windows though, imho.

Its sins are just of a different sort - e.g. you don’t need to repair or upgrade those machines so often, bc they work so well for so long as it is, plus other than for gaming, who even upgrades machines these days to begin with?

For non-gaming, Macs are great machines. So too are Linux. While Windows sux ass no matter what. Thus that’s the dividing line, imho.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        34 days ago

I mean… a Mac machine will run non-Mac OSX software. Pretty much everything can run linux, with a little effort put into it:-) (unless somehow these M chips have prevented that? even if so, surely it’s only a matter of time before someone cracks that barrier)

But yeah, it’s definitely a choice. e.g., Apple does not even sell cheap Macs, whereas machines intended to run Windows can be bought all up and down the scale - though I recall at various points in time, comparing equivalently-equipped machines, Apple ones were pound-for-pound actually cheaper than their Windows equivalents. This is ofc b/c of the monopolistic practices: when you rigidly control the hardware, you are able to order in bulk, and when you order in bulk, you are able to get large discounts from the supplier!

Though surely nobody was arguing to purchase a Mac, not knowing who or what Apple is or is about? Installing Arch Linux is also known to be somewhat ah… “tricky”, so if we are comparing things like ease-of-use, the question gets back to OP’s “which distro?” And it’s all a matter of choice - what you want to get out of it, and which constraints you want to live underneath.

But anyway, we were talking about “Mac OSX”, which yeah, very much is limited to specific sets of hardware, and cannot be installed willy-nilly on any old machine, this is very much a true statement, to be paid very much attention to by anyone wanting to learn more, or use that in their purchasing / installation decisions:-). I was just saying that while Apple (& iOS) may be evil these days, Mac OSX itself kinda is great, caveat: if you can live with its restrictions, and moreover, those are MUCH less than Microsoft’s set of restrictions these days (whereas Linux has its own set of difficulties).

• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          04 days ago

I mean… a Mac machine will run non-Mac OSX software.

Ah yes, the worst of both worlds! Wonderful!

I recall at various points in time, comparing equivalently-equipped machines, Apple ones were pound-for-pound actually cheaper than their Windows equivalents.

I don’t ever recall that…

• @OpenStars
            link
            English
            23 days ago

I was only illustrating how Mac hardware is not identically the same as Mac software. They are tied together, yet distinct entities.

Your lack of recollection neither proves nor disproves anything at all. If you doubt me, look it up? (since surely if I did so for you, you would distrust that as well? 🤪)

I did not downvote you btw.

• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              13 days ago

They are tied together, yet distinct entities.

Yes and no. You can run other software on Mac hardware, but not the other way around.

Your lack of recollection neither proves nor disproves anything at all.

I could say the same about your statement.

If you doubt me, look it up?

So…I should look up pricing of comparable hardware across the entirety of Apple history because you made a statement you can’t back up?

• @OpenStars
                link
                English
                23 days ago

I never said I couldn’t back it up. I only said that if you wanted to know the answer, you could look. But ofc do whatever you please.

Or I suppose you could try to goad me yet again into doing your homework for you, and see if that works? (Surely this time, if you keep trying the same action, surely this time things will work out differently than the other time(s)?😜)

Or you could just think about how likely it is that in the entire history of computing, what are the chances that it was true at least once? Not that it matters, bc I’ve agreed with you so many times that hardware!=software and that for Macs they are tied together, and Macs are expensive, that I think we’ve both already forgotten already whatever it was we were talking about. Take the “win” already?

• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
                  link
                  fedilink
                  13 days ago

I never said I couldn’t back it up.

Actions speak louder than words. Or in this case, inaction.

Or I suppose you could try to goad me yet again into doing your homework for you

Your homework, not mine.

• @OpenStars
                    link
                    English
                    13 days ago

Thank you for confirming that you think of me as your bitch. This after all is why I left Reddit - to come here to do exactly the same.