443 days ago

That’s the trick: they all are.:-)

• @acosmichippo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        3 days ago

I don’t think they’re either really “on purpose” or “accidents”. It’s not calculated or truly random, it’s just who these people naturally are. And it plays because unfortunately a lot of us Americans are idiots.

• @SpaceCowboy@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          63 days ago

Yeah that’s how I see it too. Political strategist types can’t understand that not everything is a grand strategy. They assume if they can’t understand the strategy it must be 5-D chess or whatever. But maybe there is no strategy, and they’re just being idiots?

• @OpenStars
            link
            English
            23 days ago

It’s game theory terminology, like flight is a “strategy”, not that the bird (or bacterial spore or whatever) has the slightest clue about what it’s doing.

It sounds better than “what works is what works”, I guess.

• @acosmichippo@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              2 days ago

In the biological/evolutionary world “strategy” has a very different meaning than the colloquial usage here. we know animals, bacteria, plants, etc can’t actively “strategize” like humans do.

• @OpenStars
                link
                English
                12 days ago

If a monkey does something, sees that it works, and continues doing that, is that a “strategy”? I suppose that depends on one’s POV, at which point it doesn’t seem “wrong” to say it, nor wrong to not say it.