• @ravhall
    link
    216 hours ago

If they are in the state and have an emergency, fine. But anything else they really need to burden their own tax payers.

• @ravhall
        link
        214 hours ago

I’m fine with that as long as states don’t get to make laws that affect federal hospitals thereby pushing people to other states to create an unneeded burden on the out of state hospital.

• @bane_killgrind@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          314 hours ago

Just… Pay for capacity in your population centers in some equitable way.

OH, OH!!! you could run for healthcare as a public service instead of a profit center 🤡

• @ravhall
            link
            013 hours ago

I don’t think you know what a hospital looks like when it is over capacity 🤡 but keep on talking like you know stuff.

• @bane_killgrind@slrpnk.net
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  213 hours ago

You could do your own homework and make an educated guess, but you won’t, so I guess I have to spoon feed you an answer of “Canada”

• @ravhall
                    link
                    113 hours ago

Why would I make assumptions about where you live when I can just ask you?

And for a Canadian, you have a pretty unhealthy obsession with the United States. 🍁🤡

• @Rekorse@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              110 hours ago

If the hospitals in Washington are routinely over capacity, then thats a Washington problem. People have the freedom here to seek treatment wherever they would like to.

And everyone has to pay, inside or outside the state. Noone gets out of medical debt just by crossing state lines.

• @ravhall
                link
                210 hours ago

Every hospital in the world has a capacity they can support. You must be saying “they need a bigger hospital!” Which I’m sure they are aware of, but building that and staffing that isn’t always feasible with the budget they are given.

And not everyone has to pay. The hospital there is a charity and provides care regardless of the ability for the patient to pay—which cuts into that budget for more staffing and buildings.

During Covid, Idaho pretty much threw their hands up and said “go to Spokane” where people were lining the halls on beds dying because they didn’t have enough respirators for that many people.

So, it’s a common opinion in Spokane that Idaho needs to fuck off and take care of their own.

• @Rekorse@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  19 hours ago

Charity and providing care to those who present themselves are not the same thing. You might be right though that they don’t bill some people, but that would work the same for citizens of both states.

Do I have it right that you blame Idahoans for coming to Washington hospitals which might mean more Washingtonians die?

Does it really matter what state the person is from who dies?

• @ravhall
                    link
                    13 hours ago

You’re not understanding the reality of how the current system works. You’re arguing from a place of fantasy.

In an ideal world, this wouldn’t even be a problem. Healthcare would be free, and hospitals would be over staffed with low patient ratios and plenty of beds.

Don’t complain to me about reality.

• bufalo1973
                    link
                    fedilink
                    15 hours ago

Maybe I’m wrong but he’s not blaming the people but Idaho’s government.