• @GBU_28@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    222 days ago

Also work on not being such a dopamine hound. I don’t need to see new-show this year. Or this decade. I’ll see it eventually. Or never. Who cares.

Know what’s as good as music? The wind in the trees.

Not saying I’m some ascetic who doesn’t enjoy media, but when I hit a paywall or an adwall I just try to say “ok, see ya later” and move on letting that content desire slip from my mind.

• Aielman15
      link
      fedilink
      English
      132 days ago

This is great advice. There’s so much content to enjoy from the past 20+ years that I don’t feel the desire to immediately buy the new thing. You can usually get it for far cheaper down the line.

There are communities such as PatientGamers for videogames that preach exactly this.

• @Fluke
        link
        English
        52 days ago

Usually, but not always. Some 5-10 year old games are still north of $50. The price for some movies and TV series has gone up rather than down over the years.

Luckily, as you said there’s so much out there that as long as I don’t get too picky there’s more than enough available without paying gouged prices.

• @Aceticon@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 day ago

I actually got some somewhat more recent AAA games from GoG (a store which I favour because of their No-DRM rule, though there’s a handful of games were it’s “kinda”) and I literally can’t get around to them because I’m just enjoying 15 year old games or Indie title as I tend to favour open-ended games.

Why should I buy, say, “must register and log-in to Rockstar services” Red Dead Redemption from Steam if my entertainment needs are fully fulfilled already and there’s even a backlog of “bought them but haven’t got around to try them” games (including stuff like Prey) plus a bunch of Indie infinite-replayability games (like Terraria and Rimworld) which I haven’t played for long enough now that they’re fun to play again?

This is not just to illustrate the point: I’m genuinely not getting around to play something like Prey, much less buying the original God Of War (available from GoG hence DRM-free, unlike Ragnarok) because I keep just having fun from a mix of really old games and far less “graphically impressive” open-ended Indie games.

• @GBU_28@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        2 days ago

Downvotes from stimulation hounds lol.

What if someone other than me knows what baby Yoda is up to?

To repeat, I’m not saying I perfectly succeed at this.