• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    231 day ago

Perl is… forgotten entirely, despite its efforts in getting us from there to here.

Yup, checks out.

PHP also, but good riddance:-D.

Shell scripting is the ink that makes up these words - without them, you would never have seen this image.

• @kboy101222@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      191 day ago

I think Perl is closer to Esperanto - the vast majority of people will never want to learn it and the people that know it won’t stfu about how everyone should use it! And they could all use a shower!

(I kid… Mostly)

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        edit-2
        1 day ago

You… you shut up! Excuse me, I have to go take a shower:-) (/s, edit: to be clear on both sentences here)

Anyway you’re right (no /s) - at one point it filled in a gap between the likes of C++ and Assembly on the one hand and shell scripting (bash, awk, grep, sed, each with its own syntax and very little of that shared in common with one another) and I guess Fortran on the other. I still prefer it enormously to everything else - it’s quirky but fun:-) - though I get why a less experienced person should choose Python and stick with it, even as we all wish that there was another alternative that would work better than either.

And since I can’t resist: Perl is 8-20x faster than Python, and major websites like DuckDuckGo and booking.com use it. Sigh…I guess it’s time for that shower now:-).