I am not the author.

• @leisesprecher@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    191 day ago

I mean, what is his point? We should have worse software because then the devs are volunteers?

Is Linux now supposed to work like early Olympics?

• @CrypticCoffee@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 hours ago

SystemD is not an init system. It provides that functionality, but processes have more life cycle steps than just initialize.

When you accept that, you realise that you cannot compare them.

SystemD provides functionality that they don’t. Of course those that refuse to consider this will just claim it’s bloat. To some DE’s are bloat.

• @Findmysec@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          9 hours ago

Systemd is no longer just an init system, but the project began with Poettering’s dislike of other init systems. I use systemd and I do not like its performance (too slow in some cases).

The tragedy is that being an end-user, it is ridiculously hard to replace systemd on “regular” distros. Admittedly, Debian can be moved back to sysVinit without backbreaking work, but the fact is that distros don’t seem to have any intention of providing choice, making applications assume that systemd exists wherever they will be installed. That is the complaint I have against the Linux community

• @CrypticCoffee@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            7 hours ago

There is Alpine and Void Linux which are commonly known of and used. Plus more: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_distributions_without_systemd

Most distros independently decided that SystemD was superior. They had a choice and they chose. Distros are often maintained by volunteers in their free time. Same with software that depends on it. Expecting them to provide poor irrelevant choices is not how open source works. You’re passing on your backbreaking work onto other people. If you want another option, you give your time to make it happen.