• @Suavevillain@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    361 day ago

I had so many people try to tell me why free lunch for children is bad and it never came down to anything but I don’t like paying for other people’s kids.

• @InternetCitizen2@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      1112 hours ago

I believe part of free lunch was pushed by Eisenhower, who didn’t want malnourished troops. Odd for the patriotic to not see this any more.

• @piccolo@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        410 hours ago

Because poor desperate people is easier to convince to fight petty oil wars. They learn you can only push to far with conscriptions before people start rebeling.

• @FarFarAway@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      712 hours ago

Theres a neighbor that doesnt want to add more ambulances only cause they dont want to pay more taxes. Like dude, we have 4 ambulances for 100,000 people.

Some people just dont care, even when they know they’ll benefit from it, too.

• @AbsoluteChicagoDog@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      914 hours ago

Which is extra hilarious when you realize all we have to do is start actually charging wealthy people taxes and regular people wouldn’t have to pay for anything

• @Bytemeister@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        8 hours ago

Raise the standard deduction and poverty line to 100k. Set income tax at a flat 10%.

Also, the richest person every year has 50% of their net worth redistributed, and we build a statue in their honor.