It’s a slippery slope. I mean, I want a new job. But at the same time, I don’t want all that info out there. What says you?

• @Sundial@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    281 day ago

Privacy shouldn’t drastically affect your life to the point where you cannot pursue a career and establish yourself.

• @pHr34kY@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      23 hours ago

It doesn’t take much. I once put my name, job title and employer on LinkedIn. That was enough for someone to email my payroll officer and convince them to change my paycheck to a different bank account. I had no idea until my pay was missed.

My payroll officer was a dumbfuck, but that’s all it took.

• @pHr34kY@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          221 hours ago

i could add more detail, but it just raises further questions.

• The payroll officer was emailed from an aol.com address, not the company email domain.

• The bank account was changed to a branch in another state, several thousand kilometres away.

• My office was physically next to the payroll officer. Despite sitting 2 metres away, I was not contacted in-person at any stage.

• At least two staff members oversaw this.

• They just wrote off the money and paid me for the month again.

This triggered a policy change. Bank account updates had to be confirmed in-person after that.

• @Sundial@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            421 hours ago

I’m very sorry that happened to you. But honestly, I don’t see that as an issue with privacy. More like gross incompetence at your workplace and you paid the price of it. Hopefully it didn’t affect your day to day too much.