• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -116 hours ago

I mean, there are plenty of very good reasons.

My car reminds me if the doors are unlocked or left open. I can adjust the charging speed at any time. I can turn on the HVAC and seat heaters before I leave. I can see my current state of charge. I can see exactly what is happening when my alarm goes off. I can see exactly where it is if it’s stolen. Etc.

You can argue that those are not important to you, personally but I don’t think you can argue that they aren’t good reasons.

I think there are certainly other wireless technologies that are superior in many ways and can supplement or replace the need for internet access in your immediate area.

• @corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 hour ago

You can argue that those are not important to you, personally but I don’t think you can argue that they aren’t good reasons.

These sound like “value-add module purchased at or after time of sale” reasons.

In short, they’re features and not requirements.

• @WhyJiffie@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      5 hours ago

frankly they aren’t good reasons.

the first bunch provides info and abilities that are only relevant when you are in the car. this is like wanting to know your house’s temperature when you are in the store, or on vacation. what the fuck you do with that information?

the remaining about the alarm and it being stolen, what are you going to do with this? go after them with your 4th car and a shotgun? let’s hope they did not disconnect the batteries…

if you absolutely cannot live without these, you should by an extension that does this, instead of forcing this shit on everyone

• @Slatlun@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1916 hours ago

I think the point is that there isn’t a good enough reason to put internet in a car that negates the risk of it.

It is like adding lead to food. It’s a cheap sweetener with no calories. You can argue that cheap sweeteners aren’t important to you, but I don’t think you can argue that it isn’t a good reason. It just isn’t a good enough reason to negate the risk.

• rand_alpha19
      link
      fedilink
      1015 hours ago

None of those features require the Internet to work properly. Manufacturers can implement them (and have in the past) without it.