• @thatsnothowyoudoit@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      2910 hours ago

The mastodon version of a post or, sadly, tweet.

It’s, uh, not the best name.

But maybe, just maybe, it more appropriately attributes correct value to a social media thing. ;)

• Draconic NEO
        link
        fedilink
        46 hours ago

Most people these days refer to them as posts, toots is older Mastodon linguo.

• @LWD@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          14 hours ago

Etymologically, I think the word “tweet” was slowly being supplanted by “post” even before Twitter’s name was officially changed to X. After all, “post” is universal, and there were many uses of thingposting that go back years, even on Twitter itself.

• @pyre@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      7 hours ago

it’s like someone looked at the word tweet and thought “how can i make this infinitely worse?”… i hope it never catches on. I don’t know why people want their posts and announcements to sound like farts.

• @cmhe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        48 minutes ago

There is a bigger history on this. Involving the Mastodon developer Gargon and a famous YouTuber Hbomberguy:

https://mastodon.social/@Hbomberguy/146524

Gargon, at that time wasn’t aware of the double meaning, as they where non-native English speaker.

It got changed back to “publish” relatively recent.

Personally I liked “toot” it was unique and funny. Many Mastodon-Users still prefer or use “toot”.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        76 hours ago

Its catchy and funny and everyone remembers it once you tell them. In other words, its perfect.

• @delirious_owl
            link
            edit-2
            3 hours ago

No, no. The fedi toots with short videos are sharts.

Personally, I like to browse my feed of sharts before I go to bed.

• @delirious_owl
                link
                11 hour ago

Nah, that’s not very realistic. Once you start shart scrolling, its hard to stop at just one shart

• Draconic NEO
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          6 hours ago

As far as I’m aware most instances no longer refer to them as “toots” and instead refer to them as posts. Likely because “toot” is used in some places to refer to farts.