• @barsquid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    658 hours ago

We need regulations. It is dangerous to operate a vehicle if oncoming traffic makes it that difficult to see anything in your own lane.

• @PeriodicallyPedantic@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      185 hours ago

The problem isn’t LEDs though. The technology isn’t what’s making it bright.

The regulation needs to be specific about what they want the end result to be, not about the specific technology used.

Like: there should be a mode of operation where oncoming traffic at x distance, seated at y height, on level roads should not experience more than z brightness.

• @NuclearDolphin@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          32 hours ago

Going after random people is harder and worse than going after the manufacturers of products.

Unless you want police shooting black people because their lights were “misaligned”

• @OpenStars
      link
      English
      96 hours ago

If we won’t regulate guns despite school shootings, what hope is there to regulate cars? (Unless someone rich can get a cut?) Apparently someone else’s freedumb to do dangerous things is my own freedom to stfu:-(.

All Praise and Honor be to our glorious Electoral College, may it forever prevent us from making dumb decisions such as “preventing needless deaths”.

• lnxtx
      link
      fedilink
      English
      127 hours ago

In the Europe we have the regulations, it still sucks. Especially OEM “active-matrix” LEDs.

• @Anivia@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        44 hours ago

Maybe you need to get your eyes checked. I rarely get blinded on the road in Germany, and when I do it’s almost always someone who just forgot to turn off his high-beams. Active matrix headlights are very common here nowadays and never blind me

• @AA5B@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        66 hours ago

How? We only read the good things about active matrix headlights, not how they behave in the real world

• @PeriodicallyPedantic@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 hours ago

This is why regulations should be about the behavior they want to see and not the technology used.

The goal is not to blind drivers; companies should be able to use whatever tech they want, but they should get fined every time their tech doesn’t work as expected in the real world.