• @AA5B@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    68 hours ago

I don’t understand how LEDs were ever allowed with the same sockets. What legitimate use could that be.

… plus this has somehow gotten so popular that my garage, part of a major regional chain, offered to replace my headlights with LED replacement bulbs

… although I can see the personal motivation. When everyone else seems to be causing so much glare, you need all the help you can get

• @PeriodicallyPedantic@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      147 hours ago

On the basic end: because they’re cheaper, use less energy, are more reliable, and last longer.

On the fancy end: have you seen demonstrations of Audi’s matrix LEDs? They have the ability to dim specific areas dynamically, so that they can track incoming traffic and keep them in a dim-zone while still keeping the road and shoulders well lit.

Keep in mind that there is nothing special about LEDs that make them brighter; they can make LEDs dimmer and they can make halogens brighter, but the manufacturer has chosen not to.

• @AA5B@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 hours ago

Sure, but making them with the same socket, so they fit in the same place, despite having different beam shape and reflector requirements, is entirely wrong.

My car has LED headlights and they fantastic. They also have a very sharp cutoff meant to keep it from blinding others, assuming correct alignment. It also claims to have the hardware for active matrix and will turn that on as soon as they get approval

My older car that I keep for my team has noticeably dimmer lights. I’d really like to convert to LEDs and I know there are some that fit and are sold as replacements. But I know they’re not. Those manufacturers need to be fined for every kit sold like that