• OpenStars
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

The first person in the graphic was saying that men have privileges above what women have. Which is partly true bc while we are the same, we are not equal - and women likewise have privileges that men do not.

The second person shut them down by pointing out the hypocrisy behind the statement. Women actually do have that same identical privilege as men… but only so far as men are the ones judging.

So women are not second-class citizens due to men putting them down, and rather it is women who are judging other women by different standards than they choose to judge men by.

My own take: dare to be different:-).

• EfreetSK@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

Good, I agree. And I still argue that the word ‘privilege’ isn’t correct here. We want to call this ‘double standard’, ‘unfairness’, ‘disadvantage’, ‘advantage’, … that’s up to a debate. But I rest my case that this isn’t a ‘privilege’

To quote source of all truth - Google first page:

privilege

/ˈprɪv(ɪ)lɪdʒ/

a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.

“education is a right, not a privilege”

• OpenStars
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

But this is presented as a “story”, an internet back-and-forth. The girl up top started off by accusation that it was a “privilege”, and she was wrong, but she used the term bc she thought she was right.

From her childish logical POV, men had that “privilege” above “normal” - her normal. Men had that “special right”, that “advantage”, that “immunity”, granted only to the particular group of humans in her world who are men yet denied to women. So it wasn’t her word choice that was wrong - the word accurately described her childish way of looking at the world.

She was, however, wrong. Sort of. Mostly. Bc while men grant that non-special right to everyone regardless of gender, women only grant it specially to men (and not even all women do, it’s a special kind of outdated Victorian cultural attitude that does so).

So what I am saying is that the word “privilege” was correct here… not in spite of but because it is wrong -> it is used to show how wrong the underlying concept is.