• Siliconic
    link
    English
    211 months ago

Flip phone is stupid, but a folding phone like the Galaxy Fold actually makes total sense. Bigger screen like a small tablet, while still able to easily fit in your pocket.

• HousePanther
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 months ago

Eh, I’ll buy that but it still seems like an awful lot to go wrong and break.

• @d3Xt3r@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Yes, theoretically it’s less durable compared to a regular smartphone, but practically, you’d probably replace the device well before it comes to it’s breaking point.

Samsung rates the Fold 4 to 200k folds (and 400k for the Flip 5). I’ve been using my Fold 4 for coming up to an year now, and I’ve observed that I don’t open/close more than 20 times a day. That comes to a total life of 27 years. Even if I say open/close 40 times a day, and say, Samsung lied and the real life is 100k folds, that still works out to 6.8 years, which is well past the time I’d normally hold on to a smartphone. So rest assured, folding the thing isn’t really an issue.

Here’s JerryRigEverything’s durability test video btw of the Fold 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RteJVUwzhWs