• @whataboutshutup
    link
    English
    111 months ago

I loved Q1 and custom maps Machinehead (devs behind new Wolfenstein) added to it, but Q2 is fucking boring. Like, really, besides the cool engine, it was just a slow and unimpressive bullshit. Not a Doom 2 level of making a comeback. What I disliked the most, besides irritating enemies, is backtracking to previous maps. It could’ve been shown as creating a consistent world across maps, but in the end it’s just bad design.

I suggest to those reading it to take Q1 instead. Surprisingly, the remastered version runs on Linux without problems. As do many engines created by fans’ community. It’s just better.

• @jasondj@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      English
      611 months ago

I turned 10 in 1995, and had a decent (for the time) gaming PC. Quake, and Quake 2, were a huge part of my childhood.

I’d agree that Q1 is probably the better game all-in-all, especially for single-player. But for internet multiplayer, Q2 was genre-defining. It was the fast-paced arena FPS by which literally all games were compared until like UT2003.

• @whataboutshutup
        link
        English
        311 months ago

I’d say UT’99 got it earlier than UT2003-2004, with it’s amazing OST and commentators alone.

But yep, Q2 was better in MP. That’s why, maybe, they designed Q3 as a multiplayer-only game after that.

• @Murdoc@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

Yeah I felt that while Q2 was technically superior, it just lost all the charm that Q1 had, in the enemies, the general ambience, etc. It just seemed so generic to me. Happened to Blood 1 & 2 as well. It’s much like how many movies rely on special effects instead of their story and characters.