This was a nice week for book reading. Don’t usually get this much time generally.

Finished The Last White Man by Mohsin Hamid. I didn’t like the writing style initially but got used to as I read along. It’s a small book, just a little more than 100 pages. An umm… interesting read.

Got my copy of The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England by Brandon Sanderson. Really liked the book. It was a fun, light book. There was much less action than I was expecting, after reading the announcement of the book, but that didn’t make book any less enjoyable. Finished the book in two days, which I rarely get to do now.

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher. Book 3 of Dresden Files. I have just started it, but it’s the same Dresden Files. Nothing to say about that.

What have you been reading?

• @dresdenOPM
    link
    English
    211 months ago

Wow, that’s a lots of books.

Blood Rites is the book that made me stop reading Dresden Files, because I couldn’t get the book, and I didn’t want to miss one book and read the next ones. Stared the re-read after getting the book (and about a decade after I stopped).

Have you read rest of the books in “in Death” series? I have read couple of romance novels by Nora Roberts a while back, but haven’t read her crime novels, or well any crime series at all (except couple of novels in Robert Galbraith’s Cormoran Strike). Would you recommend her in Death series a good starting point for crime novels?

Seanen McGuire’s October Daye and Wayword Children has been recommended to me many time, but haven’t gotten around to them yet. Maybe after Dresden Files. How are you enjoying the series?

I didn’t know Resident Evil novels exist, but with such a big franchise, it makes sense. Any idea, if they are any good?

Last but not least, welcome to Cosmere! Brandon Sanderson is currently my favourite fantasy writer, so glad you got to start reading him!

• @PDFuego@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      211 months ago

Thankless in Death is book 37, plus a few shorts, and I’ve been reading them all up to this point. They’re fine. They’re mostly an easy read, I usually get through them in a couple of nights each depending on when I’m working. Sometimes they surprise you though, the killer in this book is particularly horrible, and there’s a lot of competition considering I’m several dozen books in. Some of the books are really good, but I don’t read any other crime, nor do I know anything about policework. The overarching story of the main character getting her life together is the most interesting part, but you only really get a trickle of that each book so if you get into it you’re stuck there for about 60 novels. I started in about 2008 with Creation in Death and read maybe 10-12 of the books randomly because I was a broke teen who took what he could get, that book was good enough that it hooked me and got me back a over decade later to give the series a complete read.

I haven’t read any other McGuire. Incryptid is almost a guilty pleasure, the first 2 books were ok, but I really enjoyed the third. The series switches point of view characters every couple of books so I haven’t seen everyone yet, but that’s something I enjoy except for the fact that when you get attached to someone they might not show back up for a while. This one I’ve been listening to rather than reading, Ray Porter does the narration for book 3’s character and he’s fantastic. They even got the narrator from the first two books in for all of 5 lines in a phone call, which was a nice surprise. I mainly got into these (and Patricia Briggs’s Mercy Thompson books) to fill time before the next Dresden Files, but they’re both enjoyable enough.

In my opinion Resident Evil’s story is absolute balls, and I don’t expect the books to be any better. I’m like 20 pages into the first one so I can’t fairly judge that yet.

• @dresdenOPM
        link
        English
        111 months ago

Wow, 37 books. I will give Naked in Death a try, and see how it goes from there.

Thanks for the detailed info.