• @McScience
    link
    710 months ago

Are you suggesting we just let Putin take over Europe Nazi-style or is this comment unrelated to the article?

• JohnBrownsBussy2 [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      2810 months ago

The annexations in Ukraine are illegal, but Russia annexing 5 oblasts and Ukraine being locked into a status as a neutral buffer state is not exactly a Hitlerian take-over of Europe.

• Farman [any]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Its not ilegal in russia. Legality is not a real property of things its the opinion of the guy with the biggest army in the area. Thinking otherwise is brainworms

link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          10 months ago

No, annexation is illegal under the UN charter, of which Russia is a signatory, and wars of aggression are criminal in and of themselves. I’ll condemn the illegal annexations performed by Israel and other states, and Russia’s annexations fall under the same boat.

To be even more clear, I do think that Russia would have won fair referendums in Donetsk, Luhansk and certainly Crimea. I doubt that would have been the case for the other two oblasts. Still, all of those annexations were illegal. Just because the neo-cons have flouted the UN charter in favor of the ad hoc “rules-based order” doesn’t mean others should.

link
              fedilink
              English
              710 months ago

What’s your point, that Soros is a hypocrite? That was always obvious. Is he more of a zionist than the average American lib though?

• Harrison [He/Him]
              link
              fedilink
              -110 months ago

It’s always funny seeing people post that image without the context that Palestine declared war on Israel alongside all its neighbours and attempted to push the Israeli population into the sea.

• mkultrawide [any]
                link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                10 months ago

And Ukraine kept shelling civilians in Donetsk despite signing Minsk 2.

And that’s not even taking into account that Israel has continued to annex new land despite it not being a war.

• GarbageShoot [he/him]
                link
                fedilink
                English
                1310 months ago

The correct response to a settler colonial ethnostate being founded in your region by Britain is to try to destroy it.

• CredibleBattery [he/him, comrade/them]
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    edit-2
                    10 months ago

i wouldnt call it an attempt, Israel is sure as hell succeeding in killing and displacing a lot of Palestinian civilians and also running the world’s largest open air prison

• Awoo [she/her]
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    edit-2
                    10 months ago

Ending the existence of an illegitimate country built on stolen land has nothing to do with genocide. You’re doing the fascist ethnostate thing where you act like a state and its people are the same thing. States come and go, people remain, the ending of a state has nothing to do with harming people.

• Awoo [she/her]
                link
                fedilink
                English
                110 months ago

“The indigenous americans shouldn’t have fought back against the settlers if they didn’t want to get exterminated.”

• Farman [any]
            link
            fedilink
            English
            310 months ago

If russian law considers they are part of russia and the russian army is siting there russian law applies there. Thats how it works. If another army is sitting there then legality is whatever those other guys say.

Pretending otherwise is denying realty.

• @lonke@feddit.nu
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

not exactly a Hitlerian take-over of Europe.

Only because they lack the ability. Civilian massacres like in Bucha are happening and have been happening throughout the war.

• @mayo@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

I don’t know a lot about the region, but I think this gives Russia access to some large oil deposits and excellent agricultural land. It will also give them more strength in the region. I think it’s worth extending the war to try and limit those gains. It’s a good situation for the US.

• Awoo [she/her]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I’m from Europe, this is fucking nonsense. Please can the US piss off and leave the rest of the world alone? You caused this in the first fucking place and then you act like you’re on moral high ground by supporting the continuation of it with the deaths of tens of thousands of people over lines on a fucking map. It’s abhorrent. Let’s not get started on how the US very obviously blew up German infrastructure to cripple Europe and vassalise it. Don’t pretend that any of your support is for any of our benefit thanks. You’ve literally ended european prosperity and fucked the continent for the next 50 years.