• @FelipeFelop
    link
    English
    5510 months ago

Pay a consultancy $200,000 to design routes. How on earth did they not realise that would go wrong. And all because they would not pay enough to attract new drivers.

• Clegko
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1010 months ago

My local school system pays very well to be a bus driver. The issue here isnt pay, it’s the weird split-up day and the fact that kids, by and large, are assholes. No one wants to deal with that, even for a good livable wage.

• @mlc894@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        2010 months ago

I mean… if nobody wants to do a job for the pay allotted, then the pay is by definition too low. You can make other changes that bring the acceptable pay range down (make kids not be assholes or something idk) but in the end it’s always about the pay at the end of the day.

• Clegko
          link
          fedilink
          English
          110 months ago

That’s true. But the pay isn’t “low”, as such. Just still unacceptable

• @glockenspiel@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            410 months ago

Seems like arguing semantics. “Low” is relative. There are people who argue that living in minimum wage is 100% possible by oneself. People perform truly shit jobs that greatly endanger their lives simply because the pay is right.

Capitalists want a market economy right until the moment labor is treated the same way.

• @TenderfootGungi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            210 months ago

Semantics. If not enough people will do it then the pay is too low. Pay me a million dollars and I would move there and drive a bus.

• @ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        810 months ago

I’m a bus driver and I fucking love the split-up day since the break in the middle gives me a chance to go for a bike ride, have lunch and a nap before going back for the afternoon run. But the wage is really not “livable” even though the hourly rate is decent, since we only get 4-5 hours of work a day.