***mkntfs completed successfully. Have a nice day.***

Does windows have this much KINDNESS in a single phrase? HAH! Eat it botnet!

• Alex
    link
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Lmao how did you do that?

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘
      link
      fedilink
      English
      710 months ago

It was my very first non-windows installation. Win98 (not SE) had just came out, and I was super frustrated with the state of the desktop OS. I thought, “there has to be something better than this shite”. I got an old computer from a yard sale and an old HDD from goodwill all for around $10 (I didn’t want my main computer to be the guinea pig), downloaded Caldera from some shady site, and started the installation process. Remember Caldera and how it was supposed to be an OS for the masses, supposedly working on current hardware? Well… Not my state of the art junker was excluded from that claim, I suppose, because it failed. I tried several other distros, but all failed. Hell, even Win3.11 failed. My friend told me that he got BSD running on his dad’s old laptop (BW screen, manual toggles for the brightness and contrast, even had to be plugged in to work), because “you could run BSD on some tinfoil and gum”. So, I figured, why not. Downloaded the IMG file wrote it to floppy, and started. I got it installed (yay), then started tinkering. I don’t remember now what I did, but, yeah, I effed that installation up real good. Reinstalled successful, and just used it as is with minor adjustments to make it work a little smoother. I even got it to print on our brand new HP Deskjet 540 printer, something Win98 just couldn’t handle.