• @Fluke
    link
    4010 months ago

I’ll try to list things that aren’t in the typical internet echo chamber. Bring on the controversy. These are just my opinions.

50% of the shelf space at the grocery store is just different forms of corn syrup, sometimes with some trans fat mixed in, generationally twisting our idea of what food is in a race to the cheapest, most addictive product.

The only way it’s profitable for someone to knock on your door to sell ANYTHING is if they are obscenely inflating the price (think 100-600% markup)

Most supplements, especially expensive ones with TV ads

Dr Scholl’s and the goodfeet store

Genuine leather is just about the opposite of what you’d think

Bamboo fabric which is pretty much just a different way to say rayon but is pitched as a revolutionary and environmentally friendly cloth

Most bladeless fans just hide fan blades in the base

Many cleaning products don’t do better than diluted soap and water (even for sanitizing) especially the ones with TV ads

Financial planners who are actually financial product salespeople

Most single-purpose kitchen gadgets, especially as-seen-on-TV

The realtors racket: I just paid $30k for an internet posting and mediocre advice

Many personal hygiene products are just repackaging the same two or three active ingredients by the same one or two megacorporations

Essential oils (even ignoring mystical claims) big names charge an order of magnitude higher than they should

• @Elderos@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      1010 months ago

Your list makes me realize just how far we peddle bullshit in our society. Virtually everything is lying to you, if only by omission or by being misleading. If you don’t know about cars, finance, food, technology, laws, housing, virtually anything, you will be taken advantage off, if only a little. Pretty much your whole list is spot-on, and it could go on for pages. Toothpaste? They’re lying about the quantity. You think your orange juice is healthy because it is very, very heavily suggested? Nope, it is old oranges with a lot of sugar. Anyway, I am not gonna type the entire comment I want to because it would become very rant-y.

• Luna
      link
      fedilink
      English
      310 months ago

The only way it’s profitable for someone to knock on your door to sell ANYTHING is if they are obscenely inflating the price (think 100-600% markup)

I agree, but does anyone actually do that? No one ever came to my house to try to sell me something

• @spikespaz@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Genuine leather is just about the opposite of what you’d think

Can you explain that one? I like leather, it just requires maintenance.

• @ilovepi@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

I believe he’s referring to “Genuine” leather as an industry term. Genuine leather is really low quality leather (but still comes from a cow). “Full grain” leather is what most people think of when talking about leather products.

The only thing worse than genuine is bonded, which is the plywood of leathers.

See: this diagram

• @spikespaz@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

For some reason I was under the impression that “suede” was high quality. Is it just desirable because the collagen bundles are loose, and raise to make the surface fuzzy? Because it certainly isn’t durable, but my full grain backpack is.

• Shan
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

If I recall, ‘genuine’ leather is a grade of leather that is basically the lowest quality

• @triclops6@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      210 months ago

New to Lemmy but yours is my 2nd ever saved comment, thanks bud

Oh and congratulations on selling your 600k ish home, hope you got what you wanted