I’ve been wondering for quite a while if I have autism or not as I seem to hit a lot of the commonly reported symptoms and experiences. I recently tried some of the self-tests out there, including the ones on Embrace Autism, and yeah, I hit every single one I tried for mild to even moderate autism. Scored 49 on the rbq-2a for example.

Now, I know that none of those tests are conclusive and I could easily be a false positive, so I’m not directly claiming I have autism. But I’m thinking the next step is probably to talk to my primary care doctor, but to be honest I’m really hesitant to/don’t completely trust the mental health system in Canada. Genuinely asking because I don’t really have anyone in my personal life who has similar experiences or I think would understand: what do people here think about getting a formal diagnosis? Is it always something one should pursue if they suspect they’re on the spectrum? Are there any major drawbacks? I’m especially concerned about it affecting my career prospects (which already aren’t great tbh, my fault for getting a science degree in an already niche field which I deeply regret but that’s a different story) or my ability to take out loans or rent an apartment by myself. I don’t personally see my autism (if I have it) as a disability, but unfortunately in Canada it is still very much seen as such. Who am I required to disclose an autism diagnosis if I am diagnosed?

I’m really sorry if any of this comes off as insensitive. I have never really participated in the autism online community and I am in no way trying to put down people with autism, I’m honestly just kind of scared about what this means for me. Anyone else in a similar situation, or were in a similar situation? Care to share your experiences or have any advice?

• @frogfruit
    link
    English
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Also worth mentioning that if you have ADHD, you get those same protections. Idk how it is in Canada where OP is, but in the US, adult autism evaluations can be hard to obtain and insurance typically will fight coverage but ADHD evaluations are easier and usually covered.