A Ph.D. student at Michigan State University said his mother was arrested in Bangladesh after he criticized the country’s government in a Facebook post.

• @scv
    link
    English
    610 months ago

Why is it shameful to be behind Namibia and Costa Rica?

• Nix
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1010 months ago

France is one of the main reasons Latin American and African countries are in the positions they’re in… I don’t see how France could be the “country of human rights”

• @barsoap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Namibia consistently ranks as the top country in Africa regarding press freedom and has been a stable democracy ever since being freed from colonial rule by South Africa.

(South Africa had a mandate over Namibia I mean, the Apartheid fucks attempted to implement Apartheid there, not free the country).

There’s still issues with women’s rights and those of sexual minorities, as well as various indigenous groups being marginalised and having poor socio-economic status (notably San) but overall that’s more of a function of where the country came from, and not where it’s going.

You should be exactly as ashamed of being behind Namibia in press freedom as you’re ashamed of being behind Germany. Also, that your former colonies fare much, much worse. Git gud. And you can find solace in the fact that the UK ranks below you.

• @scv
          link
          English
          210 months ago

Thank you, that guy is so bigoted he didn’t realize I was calling him out.

• @RegularGoose@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

France is the “country of human rights”

There has literally never been a single moment in history when this was even remotely true. France has done more harm to humanity than nearly any other civilization in recorded history.

• @scv
        link
        English
        310 months ago

Maybe you’re just a bigot.