I’m looking for a privacy-respecting open-source android keyboard, and so far I’ve found:

Does anyone have any experience with these (or other alternative keyboards)? Which one would you recommend?

• @rar
    link
    210 months ago

It’s a long shot, but does anyone know if CJK languages (not romanizations) are supported in any of these?

• @hdzki@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

The alpha version of FlorisBoard has preliminary support for shape based Chinese layouts so you can write 汉字/漢字 with say, Cangjie or Zhengma. It also has the JIS kana layout for Japanese. Although, it doesn’t support Kanji Substitution yet, but you could use the shape based Chinese layouts for that in the meanwhile. As for Korean, it’s supported but no Hanja support yet.

While there isn’t a release for it yet, you can take any release artifact from the GitHub Actions CI and it should have it.

• @randint@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Try https://github.com/osfans/trime. It has multiple input schemas (i.e. pinyin, zhuyin, cangjie, etc.) to choose from, and they are great for typing Chinese. Admittedly it only supports the C in CJK, but it is absolutely worth a try if you don’t need Japanese or Korean.