Why do you lurk?

I used to be a lurker when on Reddit. I’d post here and there but mostly just kept to myself. It was because something as large as Reddit felt like shouting into the void.

On Lemmy, the communities are small, and so are the instances. Is it lack of something to say, anxiety, or you’re a bot? What’s up!

I find myself being way more active on Lemmy & Mastodon than on Reddit & Twitter.

• @kenvald
    link
    English
    11 year ago

On Reddit everything I saw usually had thousands of comments already since I never sorted by new. Nothing really to add that would be seen by anyone. Over almost a decade on Reddit I think I posted at most 20-30 times.

Lemmy definitely feels more approachable because of the smaller size of the communities. But then If it becomes massive I’ll probably slow down my activity again because of the same reasons mentioned above.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      11 year ago

I hope the communities stay little. There doesn’t need to be only one Apple community, for example. I’m hoping people build smaller subset communities. People are having trouble leaving that Reddit mindset.