Why do you lurk?

I used to be a lurker when on Reddit. I’d post here and there but mostly just kept to myself. It was because something as large as Reddit felt like shouting into the void.

On Lemmy, the communities are small, and so are the instances. Is it lack of something to say, anxiety, or you’re a bot? What’s up!

I find myself being way more active on Lemmy & Mastodon than on Reddit & Twitter.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
    link
    English
    11 year ago

I’ll have to give this a read later. I was a lurker before and changed with Lemmy. I was just wondering what is holding others back, like I felt held back on Reddit.

• @infinitevalence
      link
      English
      21 year ago

It will probably be different for everyone. I’m sure voting is add much as some people want to do to participate and others will find their community and participate there.

I generally kept to my subs and only on occasion participated in the larger Reddit.

I’m probably participating more widely now because of the smaller communities and as our if things grow I will probably go back to my more narrow interests.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
        link
        English
        11 year ago

Do you look forward to that more narrow interest, or do you believe that’s how it’ll become?

I’m hoping Lemmy doesn’t become like Reddit. I hope there are a bunch of little villages or communities. We’ll see what happens.

• @infinitevalence
          link
          English
          11 year ago

O man, loaded question. In some ways yes I want a place like Reddit where every community I want to be a part of exists. In other ways I am really enjoying the small aspects of Lemmy so far. This feels like the “old” internet to me where the community owns everything, we build the software, the hosting, the support methods, the rules… I cant tell if my nostalgia for the old wild west internet is bias due to age, or if its because we have spent the last 10 years living under “benevolent” corporate overlords and are just now seeing the risks to the internet that came with allowing them to have all that power and control.

One thing I like is that instances and communities get to control the ingress into their community the way they want. There will always be a place for small communities with narrow focus and entry, and because of that I think its possible that we can have the big communities that feel like Reddit along with the small ones that feel like old IRC channels, usenet, BBS’s, forums of yore.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
            link
            English
            11 year ago

Yes, I’m all about bringing back the old internet.

Matrix is the new IRC. We’re going full circle! Bellbottoms are back!