Finished Summer Knight by Jim Butcher. Fourth book of The Dresden Files. Things keep getting worse, stakes keep getting higher, Harry keep going through hell. Same old, same old.

Currently Reading Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King. It was recommended on reddit for books similar to the comic Y: The Last Man. I didn’t used to like Stephen King much before, but I can understand why. Book is 700 pages long, and first 100 or so pages were pretty much just a set up. I didn’t use to have patience for such slow books in my youth, though I am enjoying it now.

What about you guys? What have you been reading?

• @dresdenOPM
    link
    English
    110 months ago

Haven’t heard of Fairy Tale before (which isn’t surprising since I haven’t been keeping up with King’s work), but the concept sounds good. Not to mention I am enjoying Sleeping Beauties so going to look up more of his work.

• @harsh3466@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      29 months ago

I was looking at Sleeping Beauties as well. Be curious to hear your thoughts. I also just got my hands on Holly in audiobook, but I think I’m gonna give Fairy Tale a listen as my next audiobook.

• @dresdenOPM
        link
        English
        09 months ago

Well, I have mentioned a bit in this week’s weekly thread, but basically I thought the book was going to be more about what happened with the world when all women fell asleep, and maybe some kind of quest to wake them or something, but it turned out to be more about how things went down when women started falling asleep. I haven’t read any of King’s books lately so can’t compare it with anything, but he takes time setting everything up and wonderfully builds the environment. Not a big fan of ending, but it’s good enough.

There’s also the supernatural element, which I think all/most of King’s books have, though in post-Covid world, a story like this with medical / unknown elements instead of supernatural might have been a lot more scary.

Overall it was a good book and it has convinced me try few more of King’s work. I would recommend it.