• Meow
    link
    English
    49 months ago

If I could find a internal server fan smaller then 20x20mm. I’d stick one next to my 1U CPU Cooler. But for some reason I can’t find one. Needs to be smaller then 20x20 because it would sit on top of the motherboard in a closed 1U server rack frame.

• @2nsfw2furious@lemmynsfw.com
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      19 months ago

There are centrifugal fans that are quite flat but they intake airflow from a different axis they exhaust it from. Could still work

• @scutiger@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      19 months ago

You can use a larger fan and a shroud to redirect the air flow, similar to how laptops are cooled.

• Meow
        link
        English
        19 months ago

I’d like to keep the cooling internal, I just have it sitting on a shelve next too other desktops k3s nodes.

• @scutiger@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          19 months ago

I just meant you can have an internal fan that’s larger than your heatsink, and a shroud to direct the airflow to it. It requires less vertical space, but more horizontal space.

• Meow
            link
            English
            19 months ago

Oh yeah that makes sense, the board does come with a shroud, my fans just don’t have the power to push air through it well.

• ferret
          link
          fedilink
          English
          19 months ago

Do you mean the card with the SODIMM next to the CPU? that is a raid card, and it looks like it is responsible for the front drive bays.

• Meow
            link
            English
            29 months ago

Oh yeah it def had the SAS Backplane wires, I’d switched to using the SATA on board since it doesn’t have the same HD capacity limits. I think it was a max of 2tb with the backplane and I’m using a couple of 10tbs. Maybe their is some weird bios that requires it to be on board?