I hope this is appropriate here. I figured it fits the general theme of things considering if we’re self hosting there’s gotta be some hardware involved.

I’ve got a house built in the 1960s US. I’m working on upgrading my security infrastructure to a PoE system as my previous choice of wireless system was a poor decision on my part. I have all my ‘gear’ if you will in the basement but I don’t have any convenient drops from the attic to my basement. I need to do a total of 8 drops from attic to basement. I’m not too versed in wiring things through a home (ie. minimal damage to walls and such) I’ve done long runs in warehouses but that was essential all open space.

My main questions are:

1. is there any specific conduit I should be looking at to pull the runs through the walls?
  2. Is there any specific tools that I need to know about to make this job easier? I assume one of those line pullers would be handy in this case ( the hell are they actually called?
  3. Any other tips and tricks from those of you who have done something similar?
  • @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    11 year ago

That is hard :( I did a bit of work with an 1880’s Victorian but that was in the North East US so it was plaster and horsehair but hallow walls even on the outside.

Do you want to take some pictures and I can see if there is anything I can think of? Chances are if they plastered right on top of brick/stone than pulling off the baseboard like you did and running everything behind them may be your only option for hiding cables.

• @martini1992@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

Nah, thanks but I think I’ve got a handle on the options, my original reply was more a tongue-in-cheek “cries in brick wall” type thing. I mean it has its positives, I could hang a wall mounted rack anywhere without any prep or checking :)