• @rar
    link
    129 months ago

Chromebooks/ChromeOS have been very helpful in that regard. Grandparents that don't do anything beyond a web browser? I replaced the struggling windows partition with a CloudReady install. Zero complaints. Google account syncing also takes care of backups, so no worries on that either.

Now I am worried about Chromiun's near monopoly and how Firefox barely manages to make a dent in browser surveys, but I am not going to preach about web browsers and listen to their complaints every time a website coded by an unpaid intern refuses to do something properly on this 'Mozarella Foxfire' thing. I can afford to do that in my own time. They shouldn't have to.

• @Grimpen@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      119 months ago

I mostly agree with you, but Google seems to be doing it's classic Google thing, and Chrome is being enshittified now. Still, Chromebooks showed how little most people really need a computer.

Currently, the computer I use most is… my Steam Deck. With desktop mode, it's 95% of the full Linux experience, and I bet if I got my parents set up with a docked Steam Deck, they'd be fine. Granted, that's not the point of the Steam Deck, but it does show how the Chromebook example could be generalized.

Heck, even on my laptop and desktop, I've been stuck on Ubuntu LTS releases for about ten years, simply because I can't be bothered to distro-hop anymore, and it's solid. I guess ironically, I've ended up sticking with Linux because it's less bother than even Windows. Honestly, my wife's laptop on Windows gives the most headaches in the household now.