One of the most aggravating things to me in this world has to be the absolutely rampant anti-intellectualism that dominates so many conversations and debates, and its influence just seems to be expanding. Do you think there will ever actually be a time when this ends? I'd hope so once people become more educated and cultural changes eventually happen, but as of now it honestly infuriates me like few things ever have.

• @ThePenitentOneOP
    link
    -19 months ago

The worst thing at school by far was being forced to read shit like Romeo and Juliet at school that I just didn't care about. Of course, I still enjoy reading, but it is really off-putting as an experience. Too much of the school system focuses on exams and retaining correct information, rather than the logical processes or conclusions derived from learning something and adapting it. Memory and exams are still very, very important, but without the skills to adapt the information or consider alternatives it becomes very limited in application when you are taught so strictly.

• @kromem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      19 months ago

"Will the world ever stop being anti-intellectual?"

"They really should stop teaching that dumb Shakespeare crap at schools."

Not exactly a solid foundation you've built there for the thread, OP.

• @ThePenitentOneOP
        link
        19 months ago

I enjoy literature very much, but I don't see why they couldn't have picked something more relevant or thought-provoking. My own teachers said it was just what they did as part of the curriculum because it was the easiest to teach relative to some of the other options.

• @Pantherina@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      19 months ago

I love AI here. In germany we have "Anforderungsbereich 1, 2 and 3" which is the "level of skill"

• 1: repeat knowledge, learned shit. AI does this way better than anyone, random Internet sources too. Extremely boring and nearly nothing important learned.
      • 2: accumulate, analyze: AI does this pretty good too, better than many. Still boring
      • 3: interprete, use a model on some other example: AI cant do that so well. Here the fun begins and you can really see if people are stupid or not.

Ironic thing here is, that even in a Gymnasium / high school, its like 50/30/20 or more. If you are pretty much unable to think by yourself, can stupidly repeat information, you have a 4.0 and you make it.

If you are bad at repeating informations, but can analyze and interpret perfectly, you get the same amount of points.

I was always suffering from that, in History for example, where 3 is the shit you should actually take home. Antifa forever.